Applicant to the Taliesin Nexus Storytellers Workshop, Fellowship, Film Lab, Unscripted Film Lab, Writers Workshop, MFA Scholarship, Writing Groups (Programs) agrees to abide by all of the Rules, as posted here, and acknowledges that failure to do so will result in disqualification and forfeiture of any and all entry fee(s), as well as non-reimbursement of travel and other expenses and cessation of any stipend (when relevant). Applicant agrees to and executes the Application Rules and Release Agreement by clicking on the appropriate check box on the online application form. Applicant also must pay the entry fee (when relevant) via the Paypal link on the form.
2. To be eligible for any Taliesin Nexus (TN) Program, Applicant must be a United States citizen, or legally permitted to work in the U.S., aged 21 or older as of the first day of the workshop (if applicable) or (in the case of the internship program) the deadline date for applications. Applicant attests that all of the information submitted on his or her completed application form is truthful. The application form and all required materials (such as creative samples, resume and fee) must be submitted electronically by the appropriate deadline, which is listed on the relevant application page.
3. Applicant attests that the work samples (such as a screenplay, short story, or video) submitted are his or her original work. Videos or films submitted by the Applicant must have been directed, written, produced or otherwise created by the Applicant, by him- or herself, or in conjunction with others. Applicant agrees that TN shall not be obligated to return any submission to the Applicant.
4. Applicant recognizes that TN, its Programs, and their sponsors, hosts, administrators, judges, readers, faculty, and other associates have access to many ideas, stories, books, and screenplays for motion pictures and other creative programming, and that many stories and ideas relate to one or more common underlying themes, concepts, plots, characters, or other story elements. Applicant will not be entitled to any compensation because of the use of any such similar or identical material which may have been independently created by or submitted to any associate of TN or its Programs.
5. Applicant grants TN and its Program’s hosts the right to use his or her name, voice, image and likeness.
6. Applicant agrees to accept all decisions of TN as final. Applicant understands and acknowledges that TN provides no refunds, warranties or guarantees, and that the rules, criteria, compensation, reimbursement, time, location, faculty, hosts, and other elements of TN’s Programs may be changed or altered by TN without notice. TN reserves the right to revoke an invitation to its Programs at any time and for any reason without being required to reimburse the Applicant for any expenses incurred.
7. Applicant understands and acknowledges that the submission or discussion of a screenplay, film, story idea, chapter, book, or other creative work to or during the application process does not establish any fiduciary or confidential relationship between the Applicant and TN, its Programs, or their associates or hosts. Applicant releases and indemnifies TN, its associates, and its Program’s hosts, from any and all liability that may arise from the sharing of his or her creative work, and from any injury or loss, physical, financial, emotional, or otherwise, that may occur during theapplication process. Applicant indemnifies TN, its Programs, and their associates and hosts from any lawsuits, claims, or other liabilities that may arise from his or her participation in the application process.
8. If Applicant is absent from, or refuses to attend or actively participate in, any session, event, work day, or assignment during the Program without the express permission of one of TN or of his or her host, or if Applicant is disruptive, abusive or uncooperative, or if a host dismisses or fires the Applicant for any reason, then the Applicant may be required to leave the Program, and TN reserves the right to deny or withhold any provision for room and board, any reimbursement for travel and other expenses, and any stipend.
9. (For MFA Scholarship applicants only:) MFA Scholarship recipients agree to use their best efforts to maintain a good academic record and performance during the MFA program in which they are enrolled. They agree to share any academic grades, report cards, and other performance indicators with the Program’s Directors immediately upon request. They also agree to maintain a better than 2.0 grade point average (or the equivalent) and to use their best efforts to complete the MFA program in a reasonable time.
10. (Film Lab and Unscripted Film Lab participants only:) Acceptance of the Film Lab fellowship and the Unscripted Film Lab fellowship does not explicitly guarantee Taliesin Nexus will release the stated funds of the film grant in part or in full. Taliesin Nexus reserves the right to deselect anyone from participating in the program, and the right to deselect the project at any point due to inability to adhere to standards set by the program. Anyone who voluntarily resigns, is deselected, or otherwise leaves the project before completing the film – at any stage of production – and/or the Film Lab or Unscripted Film Lab program, risks forfeiting all rights to ownership in the project, and forfeits any unpaid stipends. If a fellow voluntarily exits the program, Taliesin Nexus reserves the right to withhold credit, unpaid stipends, funds, and any materials promised by the program at will.
11. If Applicant is selected to participate in one of the Taliesin Nexus Programs, they will be required to sign an additional agreement with terms and conditions particular to the program they will be participating in.