CALL FOR ENTRIES IS CLOSED
2018 FINALISTS & OFFICIAL SELECTIONS ANNOUNCED
Feature Film Script – Finalists
Two for the Road | Greg Joyce
Cold Day in Hell | Roy Griffis
Red Hats| Michael Toay
City of Trees | Christian Lybrook
Kill Shot | Michael Curylo
Shorts/TV Pilots – Finalists
The Useless| Kasey Halpin
Counteract | Tracy Lawson
Battle Buddies | Lynelle White
The Influencers| Meghan Weinstein
Feature Films – Official Selections
Handel’s Messiah | Scott Fales
Stateside | Brett Scieszka
Edgewater | Matthew Sorvillo
Hotwire | Brian Erickson
United: Revolutionary Souls | Ryan Ons
Ice on the Rocks | Christine Rapsys
Northern Sins | Mike Fitzgerald
A Generous Man | John Gillen
Running Home | Kirby Voss
A Doggone Christmas | Michael Toay
Stand On It | Michael Toay
Nuclear One | Michael Toay
Citizen Jane | Greg Joyce
Two Christian Women Get Horny | Sandra Hodge-Hampton
A Fox in Zion | Michael Aakre
Daughters of The Dude | David Swindle
Luminal | Lisandro Boccacci
White Crow | David Barbeschi
Where do the Clouds go? | Serge Ioan Celebidachi
Shorts / TV Pilots – Official Selections
Grease Monkeys | George F Gutierrez
Dougie Dog | Montgomery Burt
Fugitives From Memory | Lisa Gray Fisher
The Hitler Paradox | James Hughes
The Ghost Collector | Leann Barna
Necessary Evil | Anne Butcher
Hello Stranger | Christopher Nwagbara
Haircut Days | Davis Hunt
Abandon All Hope | Max Federman
Branded | Christian Lybrook
Our Last Game Night | Jen Gutierrez
The Cronus Program | David Oster
Motivational Killer| Ryan Smith
RE•Artists | Anthony Cheuk On Chan
No questions, where do I submit!
Film Freeway is the exclusive host for the SmashCut Screenplay Competition.
What type of scripts are you accepting?
We are currently accepting scripts (PDF format only) in two separate categories: Feature Film and Short Film/Series Pilot.
*** *** *** *** ***
Must be an original screenplay or an adapted screenplay. It must be at least 65 pages in length and no longer than 120 pages. You must be the author of the screenplay. You may submit a screenplay written by more than one person provided that you are one of the authors. Screenplays longer than 120 may be rejected and not considered for any prize or analysis.
Short Film / Series Pilot
*** *** *** *** *** *** ***
Both short films and series pilots share that same category. Short film screenplays must not be any longer than 30 pages but can be as short as one page. Series pilots scripts must be at least 20 pages and no more than 65 pages in length. Series pilots must be original – NO spec scripts. You must be the author of the script. You may submit a script written by more than one person provided that you are one of the authors.
What can I win?
• First 100 submissions will receive feedback!
*** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
No matter what, the first 100 scripts submitted will receive feedback on their work. You will receive basic analysis of what worked and what didn’t work by one of the Taliesin Nexus screenwriting selection committee members.
• Feature Film winning screenwriter receives a $2500 12-week paid Odysseus fellowship.
*** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
The winning feature film writer will be awarded the Odysseus Fellowship and be paired up with an industry veteran screenwriter for 12 weeks to write a new full length treatment, outline or screenplay. The fellow will be paid a $2500 stipend in bi-weekly installments over the course the 12 week fellowship. Once a screenplay has been written, it will be sent to various literary managers in our network for consideration. The winning screenplay will also receive an in-depth analysis from an industry veteran screenwriter and filmmaker.
• Feature Film winner will receive a complete script analysis in person (or by video chat) from screenwriter and script consultant Paul Guay.
*** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
Paul Guay’s movies have grossed over half a billion dollars. He conceived and co-wrote the Jim Carrey starrer LIAR, LIAR, at the time of its release the sixth highest-grossing comedy in history. The screenplay received an Honorable Mention in the Scr(i)pt magazine’s list of the Best Scripts of the Past 10 years. Paul also co-wrote the beloved children’s film THE LITTLE RASCALS and the romantic comedy/con-women caper HEARTBREAKERS, starring Sigourney Weaver, Jennifer Love Hewitt, Gene Hackman and Jason Lee. Paul is an associate professor of screenwriting and a sought-after script consultant: http://screenmasterbooks.com/analysis/PaulGuay.html
• Short Film/Series Pilot winning writer receives an automatic invite into the SmashCut Film Lab as a writer.
*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
The winner will be invited to participate in the SmashCut Film Lab. Our flagship program that grants a $10,000 budget toward the production of a short film or series pilot. You will be paired with an industry mentor and embark on a 100 day development of a new short film or series idea. (The winning script will not be produced in the film lab, due to the nature of how the program works. Read the all about the film lab here.)
• Both winners will receive an automatic invite to Apollo: Storytelling in Film & Television Workshop.
*** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
All winners are invited to attend our weekend workshop in Los Angeles, Apollo: Storytelling in Film & Television Workshop. Spend a weekend with industry professionals breaking your ideas and concepts, learning how to pitch, and fleshing out the stories you are working on. Screenwriters, producers, directors and executives are all on hand to share with you real time information about what is going on Hollywood, and sit down with you to talk over your stories. You end the weekend learning more about the TN network and hearing from literary and talent managers on how to get, work with, and keep representation.
• Both winners will be invited to the SmashCut CineFest Los Angeles premier and introduced as the winners of the SmashCut Screenplay Competition and handed an award.
Who are the judges?
*** BILL MARSILII ***
Bill co-wrote the romantic time-travel thriller DEJA VU, which holds the record for the highest-priced spec screenplay of all time after selling to producer Jerry Bruckheimer and Touchstone Pictures for $5 million. Starring Denzel Washington, Paula Patton, Val Kilmer and Jim Caviezel, the movie opened Thanksgiving 2006 and went on to gross over $180 million worldwide.Soon after, Bill sold 20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA: CAPTAIN NEMO to Walt Disney Pictures, and with his DEJA VU partner Terry Rossio sold their space adventure LIGHTSPEED to Bruckheimer/Disney as well. Bill is currently adapting the sci-fi comic SEBASTIAN X for producer Gale Anne Hurd and director Martin Campbell, and has just sold an original project, COLD, to Lionsgate with Reese Witherspoon attached to star and produce.
*** CRAIG TITLEY ***
Craig currently is co-executive producer on Marvel’s AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D on ABC television. As a screenwriter, Craig wrote PERCY JACKSON & THE OLYMPIANS: THE LIGHTENING THIEF, CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN starring Steve Martin, and wrote for the tv series STAR WARS: THE CLONE WARS.
*** SARA ANNE FOX ***
Sara Anne Fox is a former development executive and producer with over 40 years in the film industry. Sara played a vital role in the conception and development of over 25 screenplays, three published novels and three produced films: MY FAVORITE YEAR, NOSFERATU and the Oscar winning film QUEST FOR FIRE. For over 20 years, she has used her skills as a writingcoach and story editor with screenwriters and novelists to strengthen character development, clarify motivation and improve story structure and plot.
These three fine individuals will be determining the overall winners from a select group of finalists who were chosen by our official SmashCut Selection Committee.
Ok, so what are the rest of the rules?
•By submitting your work to this competition, all submitters agree to the rules and terms outlined in the talnexus.com rules and release agreement.
• All ages are eligible, however certain prizes may be restricted due to legal age requirement of certain programs.
• All submissions must have been written originally in english. (No translations accepted.)
• Feature films scripts must be between 65-120 pages
• Series pilot scripts must be between 25-65 pages
• Short film scripts must not be any longer than 30 pages.
• All scripts must be submitted in PDF format. (.fdr, .doc, .docx, .cltx, etc. will not be considered.)
• You may submit more than script, but you will need to pay an additional submission fee for each additional script.
• You may not substitute a “newer” draft of your script once it is submitted. Repeat submissions of the same script will not be considered nor will the submissions fee be refunded.
• If a submitted script becomes optioned, produced or purchased between the time of submission and the announcement of the winner, that script will no longer be eligible to win.
• All participants acknowledge that no offer or contract is being made to the author (optioned, produced, purchase etc.) of the submitted work for anything other than consideration of the terms of the competition as outlined above. Taliesin Nexus reserves the right to rescind any of the prizes, offers, invitations, etc., for any reason without warning.
• Staff and board members of Taliesin Nexus are not eligible to enter. Alumni of the SmashCut Film Lab, Liberty Lab for Film, or Odysseus Fellowship programs of Taliesin Nexus who participated in any year between 2009 – 2017 are not eligible to enter.